Tips for Shopping on Craigslist
1. Use the search tool, check "has image", put in your max price and a minimum price too, as sometimes posters put "$1" to increase the visibility of their (expensive) item.
2. If you are looking for something specific it may not show up in a specific search. Not everyone knows what they have or how to describe it well. A Danish Mid-Century Lounge Chair may be labeled "Chair".
3. Try to imagine the specific item out of the context of the other items photographed around it. Those toss pillows on the sofa may be offensive, but you are considering the sofa.
4. Check frequently, this eliminates the hours-long searches.
5. Don't disregard the simple or cheap, again people may not know what they have.
6. Keep in mind that at these prices, items can be painted, repaired, reupholstered, rewired, stripped, etc. But only buy if you are committed to doing this. I see postings all the time that people bought items with intention to fix them up, but several dusty years later they are reselling.
7. Ask before you go to pick up an item if there is room to negotiate on price. Don't waste your time or the poster's time.
8. Confirm dimensions with poster and your space before you go.
9. Unless the item is very big, bring a vehicle large enough to pick up when you go to see the piece, i.e. don't bring your coupe to pick up a wing chair.
10. Bring cash